Thursday, February 21, 2008

Things I love: Interior Design


So, here is my first post about some of the things I love in general. Like interior design and just not any kind, but it mostly leans to the Scandinavian style, old meets new, mid-century style. I am such an odd bird amongst my friends because I think they love mostly everything new in their homes and such. I certainly do not begrudge them that, as everybody has their tastes. I just love mid-century furniture/antiques because it suggests a previous life and it makes me think of who sat in an old Saarinen style chair and how much the lady of the house who owned an old sideboard felt about her house when she had it in the 50's. I know it sounds sappy but i love that stuff. I think it breeds life into a home and makes it less stuffy.






So on that note there is a wonderful house tour over on Apartment therapy of Anna's gorgeous NY house. I love her house so much!! I really do aspire to have such an easy going spirit to my current apartment and future home. I never want to live in a place where my friends are afraid to go in a room or touch anything. I love how she makes little vignettes on her tables, sideboards, and fireplace mantles. Anna also has a blog called Door Sixteen. It's so fun and inspirational too. So dear reader, what inspires you in home interiors?

Images courtesy of Apartment therapy and Door Sixteen

3 comments:

Anna @ D16 said...

Thank you so much for your nice comments. This is really touching!

Best wishes to you and good luck in your job-hunting endeavors.

Carol said...

For me, I draw my inspiration from nature. Living at the beach, I have a house filled with the detritus that washes up on the shore. My girls constantly find a little shell fragment or a pebble that, to them, is just gorgeous. Instead of making them leave it, we take it home and fill glass jars with their finds. On rainy days I often find my girls emptying out a jar and talking about where they found this shell or that rock.

Like you, I like a "user friendly" home where you aren't scared to touch something or sit somewhere. I will try to upload pics on my blog of my master bath, which is my absolute favorite room in the house.

Anna, your house is gorgeous! Great job!

Bukola said...

You're welcome Anna! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Fishygirl: Your home sounds fun. I wish I lived near the beach!