Monday, June 30, 2008

Nigeria: A Primer


This maybe should have been my first post when I got back to help people along. But better late than never I guess, right? So here goes...

NIGERIA is the the most populous country in Africa and the tenth largest country by population in the world, and is located at the curve of West Africa. As with many of the other nations of Africa, Nigeria's national boundaries result from its colonial history and cut across a number of cultural and physical boundaries. Nigeria has a total area of 923,768 square kilometers, about 60 percent the size of the state of Alaska, and the greatest area of the nations along the coast of West Africa (although in Africa as a whole, it is only the fourteenth largest country by area). The maximum north-south distance within the country is about 1,040 kilometers, while the maximum east-west distance is about 1,120 kilometers. Although it represents only about 3 percent of the surface area of Africa, Nigeria contains about 20 percent of the total African population. In this and other respects, it is arguably the single most important country on the continent.


Nigeria is not even half as large as say Texas, however it has a current population of about 141 million people and alone accounts for about a quarter of the population of Sub-Saharan West Africa. Nigeria has a lot of ethnic groups living in one country and can pretty much be divided into 3 distinct regions by those groups. In the north are the most populous group, the Hausa-Fulani people, a vast majority of whom are Muslim. Other northern ethnic groups are the Tiv, Nupe and Kanuri people. In the southwest are the Yoruba, most of whom are Christian, about a quarter are Muslim and the rest still practice indigenous religions such as Ifa. In the southeast are Ibos/Igbos, who are predominantly Christian and a lot of them are Roman Catholics, although Evangelical Christianity is taking hold of a large segment of the population now. Also in the southeast are the Efik, Ibibio, Annang, and Ijaw ethnic groups.

As you can imagine in a country with so many different ethnic groups, communication can be a problem. To further complicate matters, many of these languages have further sub-dialects that can vary from city to city or state to state. Most people converse in English or a patois version called Pidgin or Broken English in Nigeria. Broken English is essentially a mix of one's native language and English (or native and French if you are in French West Africa). A lot of people can speak more than one language in Nigeria, however the main ethnic languages are Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.

To give you an idea of how complicated a person's identity can be in Nigeria; I am of Yoruba descent, however my mom is from the Ara Oke (Highland People) of the Yorubas and my dad is of the Ijebu people, who are also considered Yoruba but speak an entirely different and often hard to understand dialect. These are not historically tribes that get along, but my parents married anyway and you can imagine the fuss over that. We kids also had to learn to at least understand two separate dialects of Yoruba which were very different from the Lagosian anglicized dialect we grew up hearing. Chew on that a while...Confused yet?

If you want o read up more on the long, interesting and complicated history and culture of Nigeria, Wikipedia has many exceptional pages that do a great job of the break downs and so on. Go forth and investigate won't you?

8 comments:

Rose said...

Hey, I have been waiting for you to get back and start blogging! I just arrived in Lagos the Centre of Excellence this morning and it has so far been less crazy than I imagined. Coming from Benin though, it's pretty big!

Happy to be here though.

Bukola said...

Hey Rose. Thanks for reading my blog. have you left comments before? You are not the lady who writes West Africa Always Wins are you? I know she is supposed to be moving to Lagos soon too. I'll do my best to be on top of all the things you may want to know. Thanks again and I hope you enjoy Lagos!

ThePoliticalCat said...

Hi, Bukola! Very interesting posts, I'm linking to your latest. Drop by and see me sometime.

One Fly said...

A nice surprise and your posts are great reads. OTC has linked to you again. Did not think you were coming back and invite you to go here.

One Fly said...

OTC has taken the link down to tour site for the second time because you do not post.

Gutsy Living said...

I found your blog via a comment on the Ghana blog. I lived in Nigeria as a kid and now live in CA. I was fascinated by your "history" and "geography" of Nigeria. I had no idea about the HUGE population. My neighbor here is from Nigeria, and a wonderful ambitious man, with his wife, also Nigerian. How long have you lived in Texas?

Hila said...

Hi there, to answer your question on my blog: a useful website to check whether your work has been plagiarised online is copyscape. I also have access to specific programs and databases through my editor to check for plagiarism. Unfortunately, these are not generally accessible, so copyscape is your best bet.

Flora said...

Hi there, I thought I'd reply to your comment here as I can't find any email :) Thank you for your comment on my post about fabric printing, I actually used material I found here in France, and really don't know what is available in Texas. I had to be creative as I couldn't find the things Lena Corwin suggested in her book, but I think you could? I highly recommend her book anyway, if you're interested in textile printing its just perfect to start. Good luck!